This document is the City of Turlock Activity Update for the week of June 6-12, 2009. The activity update is meant to keep the Turlock City Council and all areas of the government organization on the same page. The community may also view the complete document here at TurlockCityNews.com as it was sent out by the City of Turlock.
TO: Mayor and Council
FROM: Executive Team
DATE: June 13, 2009
RE: ACTIVITY UPDATE – WEEK OF June 6-12, 2009
· Economic Development/Redevelopment Manager attended the CVB Board meeting.
· Interim City Manager, Captain Jackson and Economic Development/Redevelopment Manager attended the Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting for the Comfort Suites Hotel.
· No new items to report.
· No new items to report.
· Firefighting crews worked on disentanglement manipulative skills / drills. These drills are designed to test the firefighter’s skills of self rescue from entanglement debris while conducting a search for victims in a dark and confining environment. Additionally, firefighting crews performed quick drills at the various Fire Stations regarding small motor operations and maintenance.
· Turlock City Fire will be hosting a Buckle Up Stanislaus Car Seat Safety Check Up Inspection on Friday, June 19th at fire station #1. The event will run from 9 am until 1 pm. Parents will be able to have their child’s car seat inspected and evaluated for correct installation. Participating agencies are Turlock Fire, Turlock Police and Modesto Police Department. This event is paid for by a grant from the Office of Traffic Safety.
Calls for Service 2281
Criminal Investigations 258
Sworn Personnel- 86
Deployed 82 (6 Officers: Field Training)
Non-Sworn Personnel 46
Field Operations Division:
Significant Events and Trends:
· A local school librarian found a suspicious package near their cafeteria. It was wrapped in duct tape and spray painted black. As they were responding, the principal received a phone call. The caller said, “BOOM” and hung up. The 640 students and staff were evacuated to a neighboring schools gymnasium. Turlock Police Department assisted with the evacuation. The Stanislaus County Bomb Squad responded, X-rayed the package and discovered it was not an explosive. There are currently no suspects.
· Turlock Police Department and Manteca Police Department co-hosted a MADD/DUI Awards Luncheon (AVOID), for all police agencies in San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties for 2008. The luncheon was held in Ripon. One of our Sergeants received an award for the most DUI arrests for the City, for the calendar year 2008. Three of our Officers tied for the second place number of arrests. They were all recognized with awards for their efforts.