California State University, Stanislaus will celebrate its first Founders Week celebration Sept. 14-18. The week will include concerts, food booths, entertainment, a family fun zone, merchant fair, campus tours and more to cap three years of celebrating the University’s 1957 founding and 1960 opening.
“Since the first classes began 50 years ago, CSU Stanislaus has been a place for students to abandon hesitation, explore the depths of academia and take charge of their own path in life,” said CSU Stanislaus President Hamid Shirvani. “Founders Week is a celebration of the University’s long history of academic excellence. It’s a time to honor those who have helped this institution flourish, not out of interest in personal legacy, but because they believed in generations beyond their own.”
The University will celebrate Founders Week with several events. A live concert, merchant fair and family fun zone are open to the community and free of charge.
“The university has been such an important part of the region’s growth and development that we wanted to make sure the entire community could join the celebration,” said Jacob McDougal, CSU Stanislaus director of Alumni Affairs and Annual Giving. “The events will be family-friendly and we encourage alumni and friends to return and see how the campus has changed over the years.”
The culmination of the week’s activities will occur Sept. 18, when the Family Fun Zone and merchant fair are open from noon to 4 p.m. on the Turlock campus, One University Circle. Stan Fest, which includes music and other entertainment, will be offered from noon to 8 p.m. Campus tours will also be available.
A summary of other Founders Week activities:
– Tuesday, Sept. 14: faculty vs. students softball game at 4 p.m. and a barbecue mixer in Teague Park at 5:30 p.m. for students and CSU Stanislaus alumni who graduated between 2000 and 2010.
– Wednesday, Sept. 15: concert hosted by the College of the Arts at 7:30 p.m. in Snider Recital Hall.
– Thursday, Sept. 16: CSU Stanislaus faculty exhibition will be held in the University Art Gallery beginning at 7:30 p.m.
– Friday, Sept. 17: Help us break the NCAA Division II attendance record as the Warriors take the soccer field against CSU San Bernardino. The women’s match begins at 4:30 p.m. The men’s match begins at 7 p.m.
– Saturday, Sept. 18: Flag-raising ceremony and dedication at 11 a.m. in the CSU Stanislaus Quad.
For more information, call (209) 667-3131 or go to www.csustan.edu/50th.