The KlaasKids Foundation, California Highway Patrol, Turlock Police Department, American Red Cross, and Turlock Rural Fire Department will be participating in GDI Insurance Agency’s Community Safety Saturday event on June 25th from 10am – 2pm.
It is personal experiences from people like Lorraine Azevedo, an account manager at GDI Insurance Agency in Turlock whose son was nearly kidnapped, that inspired GDI Insurance Agency President Grant Davis to co-host “Community Safety Saturday” in Turlock with Capital Insurance Group (CIG).
“We are holding this important free event to give people in our community the opportunity to learn from law enforcement and other experts how to protect their children and their families,” notes Grant Davis.
The event will be held at the GDI Insurance Agency, located at 801 Geer Road in Turlock.
Marc Klaas, the father of Polly Klaas who was kidnapped and murdered in 1993, and whose mission is to stop crimes against children with his KlaasKids Foundation, will be at the event. The KlaasKids Foundation will provide Digital Photo ID & Finger Print Kits for every child. Parents will also receive a free DNA Collection Kit, child safety tips and a 9-point plan on what to do if a child disappears.
Also joining Marc Klass and Lorraine Azevedo with experiences, Tabitha Cardenas will be attending the event.
On January 18, 2011, 4-year old Juliani Cardenas was snatched from his grandmother’s arms in Patterson, California by her mother’s boyfriend Jose Esteban Rodriguez, age 27. At the time, Juliani’s mother, Tabitha Cardenas, was 8-1/2 months pregnant with Rodriguez’ daughter but the couple had split up. Rodriguez kidnapped Juliani and then drove his vehicle into the Delta-Mendota Canal. His body and Juliana’s body were subsequently discovered there. Since that time, Tabitha has had a baby daughter, but nothing will replace her son’s life. She is committed to helping others by sharing her story and supporting Community Safety Saturday.
“Community Safety Saturday” will feature the following activities:
• The KlaasKids Foundation will be hosting the KlaasKids Print-A-Thon which provides Digital Photo ID & Finger Print Kits for every child. Parents receive a free DNA Collection Kit, child safety tips and a 9-point plan on what to do if your child disappears.
• California Highway Patrol/Modesto and Fresno, Turlock Police Department and Fresno Police Department, as well as technicians from the Safe Kids Central Valley Coalition, will conduct a Child Safety/Booster Seat inspection station.
• Turlock Police Department Volunteers in Police Services will have a Crime Prevention Booth with valuable information about crime prevention tips/neighborhood watch.
• Turlock Police Department Traffic Safety Unit will also have information regarding traffic safety in regards to DUI, Cell Phone and Texting, bicycle safety and more.
• Turlock Rural Fire Department will bring a 25’ fire engine and hand out fire safety coloring books, fire chief hats and sticker badges.
• American Red Cross – Modesto Office will provide information about child and adult emergency preparedness.
• KWIN/KWNN will host a LIVE remote, with DJ appearance and prize giveaways.
In addition to educational and safety opportunities during “Community Safety Saturday,” there will be a raffle for items at the end of the event with prizes. Free recyclable tote bags with safety coloring books and crayons will be distributed while supplies last, and there will be fun games and food available.