Harinder Grewal, TUSD Trustee Candidate
Due to the State of California budget issues, what potential cuts do you envision TUSD dealing with and how? What would be your priorities to protect the most during budget cuts if they are needed?
Most public organizations, California State, Counties, Cities, School Districts, Colleges and Universities are going through tough economic times. It is very hard to predict or envision, what will be the State’s financial situation. We should be prepared for the worse. During budget cuts, my priorities will be to protect the quality of education and stay financial sustainable. I will do everything to ensure that quality education is not effected due to budget cuts.
What is TUSD and/or what is it about?
The Turlock Unified School District is a public educational system, to provide a quality education to all the students. A quality education enriches our students by creating and providing opportunities. TUSD has nine elementary schools, one middle school, one junior high, two high schools, 2 small alternative high schools and approximately 13,500 students.
What do you feel the duties of a TUSD Board Member are?
1) Set goals and establish policy for the school system.
2) Responsibility to establish and maintain a basic organizational structure for the local school system, develop curriculum, meet federal and state mandates for public schools.
3) Adopt an annual budget, be fiscally responsible and sustainable.
4) Communicating effectively with the staff, school-community and general public.
5) Serving as a link between the school system and the community.
6) The selection of the superintendent of schools.
What made you decide to run for a TUSD Board of Trustees position this election?
My 20 years of leadership experience, will help the School District to move in the right direction. I will bring to the School Board a broad perspective, my ability to be objective and fair, and my strength in fiscal responsibility. I have the ability to keep our district on course to continued success. I am eager to devote the time and energy to fulfill my duties.
List Top 5 biographical highlights:
• Leadership skills
• Skilled Communicator
• Ph.D., MS, MBA
• Married 20 years
• Father of two children
List Top 3 priorities if elected:
1) Safe Schools,
2) Fiscal responsibility and sustainability,
3) Improve student performance.
What do you feel you have to offer that some of the other candidates may not?
My 20 years of leadership experience:
1) Councilman- Municipal Advisory Council, Keyes CA (second term)
2) Director- Community Service District, Keyes CA (not seeking reelection)
3) Past Chairman- Modesto City Equal Opportunity Commission,
4) Past President- California Association of Standards and Agricultural Professional (Two Terms),
5) Past Treasurer- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Local 10
6) Past Job Steward- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Local 10
7) Past Coordinator- Stanislaus County Employee Mentor Program
Educational Qualifications: Ph.D. (Agricultural Economics), MS (Agricultural Economics) and MBA
How would you contribute to the current TUSD Board of Trustees and would you fulfill anything missing on the current TUSD Board of Trustees?
Lot more communication and brainstorming with public, parents, students and teachers.
What issues do you feel need to be addressed more than they already are? Are there any problems or is there anything that you feel needs to be fixed/changed concerning TUSD?
As I said above, lot more communication and brainstorming with public, parents, students and teachers. We should make sure that every student is getting the quality education; schools are performing to full potential.
Position papers (specific views on specific topics) or candidate statements (equal to an intro at a debate or a short speech of what you’ like to communicate without being edited):
I am Senior Inspector with Stanislaus County Department of Agriculture. I have a MS., Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics and an MBA from CSU Stanislaus.
I will bring to the School Board a broad perspective, 20 years of leadership experience with various organizations; an ability to be objective and fair and an appreciation of the diverse needs of our community.
One reason for my success has been an ability to work well as a member of a team to accomplish important tasks. It is a high priority for this school board that we perform as a cohesive unit. It is essential that we effectively communicate across all areas, establishing and maintaining trust and common goals.
One goal must be to provide a quality education to all children of our community. Another goal of this district must be to prudently manage and administer our tax dollars allocated to education. I have years of experience developing and managing budgets, my experience in fiscal responsibility is a great strength.
I am eager to devote the time and energy to fulfill my duties. I have the ability to keep our district on course to continued success. I respectfully ask for your vote. Thank you.
Many, it is a very long list, but I will work with any individual, groups, and associations to help TUSD.
Complete Bio (Please include contact information for the voters to reach you by):
Name: Dr. Harinder Grewal
Education: Ph.D., MS, MBA
Employer: Stanislaus County Department of Agriculture
Position: Senior Agricultural Inspector
Married: Wife, Baljeet, works at Doctors Medical Center.
Children: Daughter (Love) and son (Arjun)