The KlaasKids Foundation, California Highway Patrol, Turlock Police Department, Turlock Rural Fire Department, American Red Cross, and Eddie Eagle Gun Safe Program join together for a not-to-be-missed day that educates the community on safety.
After an inaugural event in June 2011 that attracted over 800 people, the “2nd Annual Community Safety Saturday,” a family-friendly and free safety event, will return on Saturday, May 12, 2012, from 10:00am to 2:00pm. This important not-to-be-missed safety event for the whole family will again be held at GDI Insurance Agency, 801 Geer Road and will feature many safety demonstrations.
Grant W. Davis, President of GDI Insurance Agency, together with The Protector Network®, Capital Insurance Group’s complementary members-only organization offering safety and security benefits, will team up with the exemplary people and organizations listed below to educate the community on safety.
One of the important features of the event is the free Child Safety/Booster Seat inspections. As of January 1, 2012, California Law places restrictions on where and how a child may occupy a vehicle, based on the child’s age, weight, and height. According to the California Highway Patrol, children are at greater risk when riding in the front seat, and a child’s injury risk is reduced 33% when moved from the front seat to the back seat.
“Home and auto safety are important to the families in our local community. To celebrate our dedication to our community and our policy clients’ well-being, we are hosting our second annual ‘Community Safety Saturday,’ which allows us to provide a fun-filled family event for our community and keep them up to date on safety education,” said Grant Davis.
“Community Safety Saturday” will feature the following activities:
• The KlaasKids Foundation will be hosting the KlaasKids Print-A-Thon, which provides Digital Photo ID & Finger Print Kits for every child. Parents receive a free DNA Collection Kit, child safety tips, and a 9-point plan on what to do if your child disappears.
• The Turlock Police Department, California Highway Patrol/Modesto, as well as technicians from the Fresno Police Department/Safe Kids Central Valley Coalition, will operate a Child Safety/Booster Seat inspection station.
• Turlock Police Department Traffic Safety Unit will also have information regarding traffic safety, crime prevention and bicycle safety. They’ll also bring a police car and police motorcycle.
• Turlock Rural Fire Department will bring a 25’fire engine and hand out fire-safety coloring books, kids’ fire helmets, and other fire-safety-related giveaways.
• American Red Cross – Modesto Office will provide information about child and adult emergency preparedness, and they’ll bring a mannequin to demonstrate how to perform CPR on infants, children, and adults.
• Eddie Eagle Gun Safe Program will provide information about gun safety.
• Melinda Reynolds Tripp, author of the kids safety book “What Should You Do” will sign books and offer safety tips.
• Turlock Irrigation District, TID, will donate or provide water and electricity safety information and Dexter Duck coloring books.
• KHOP @ 95.1 will host a LIVE remote, with DJ appearance and prize giveaways.
In addition to educational and safety opportunities during “Community Safety Saturday,” there will be a raffle for items at the end of the event with prizes such as a Solar Safety Flashlight, Bluetooth Headset, Emergency Radio, and Emergency Roadside Kit. The Grand Prize will be an iPad. Free recyclable tote bags with safety coloring books and crayons, and other giveaways, will be distributed while supply lasts, and there will be fun games and food available.
Sandie Borthwick, Marketing Manager for CIG, remarks, "We are very proud to partner with community safety-oriented Public Services and GDI Insurance Agencies again. Community Safety Saturday was born from our concern and commitment to keep children and families safe.”