Turlock Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire in the 700 block of High Street, called in by a neighbor, on Wednesday morning at 12:49am when 3 people were burned as they escaped.
A family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children, were sleeping when the occupants woke up to popping sounds and a fire. There was a smoke detector in the house, however the battery was dead and the alarm did not work.
The family escaped but not without the father, the mother, and a child received 1st and/or 2nd degree burns.
According the firefighters, the fact that the occupants sleep with the bedroom doors closed provided them with enough time to escape the fire through bedroom windows.
The Turlock Fire Department (TFD) reports that the fire started in the utility laundry room causing heavy damage to the structure. The fire extended to the attic and throughout the residence. There was also major extension to the exterior rear of the structure and a small amount of extension to a fence.
TFD responded with a second alarm response with 1 Division Chief, 1 Battalion Chief, 4 Engine Companies as well as engines from Denair, Keyes on scene. Ceres fire and Turlock Rural Fire Department provided coverage for the city. TPD, AMR, T.I.D., and PG&E all provided assistance with traffic control, patient care, rehab, and securing utilities. TFD responded with 14 personnel, in addition to another 20 firefighters who responded to the scene.
The fire was under control within several minutes of arrival, and full extinguishment was complete in 32 minutes after arrival of the first fire unit.
The fire is under investigation but initially appears to have started due to an electrical short at the clothes dryer.
The fire caused major damage to the residence and was estimated at a dollar loss of $45,000 including property and contents.
Red Cross was contacted and was going to make contact with the occupants as the family of 5 was displaced.