U.S. Representative Jeff Denham (R-Turlock) today announced the 2012 service academy nominees from California’s 19th Congressional District. Nineteen high school seniors were nominated to the country’s leading service academies, including the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, the Naval Academy at Annapolis, and the Military Academy at West Point.
“These young students represent our state’s best, and I’m proud to nominate them to our nation’s military academies,” Rep. Denham stated. “It’s truly inspiring that so many young and talented Californians desire to serve our nation by joining the armed forces. This dedicated group will surely lead our country to a brighter future.”
To be considered for admission to four of the five armed service academies, all potential students must be nominated by a U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator or the Vice President. Last year, Rep. Denham’s Military Academy Selection Committee chose twenty-three nominees after a rigorous application and interview process where factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation were taken into consideration.
Acceptance will be determined by each academy next spring, and students selected from this group of nominees will become the graduating class of 2017. The honor of attending a service academy comes with a commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years active duty and three years reserve upon graduation.
For more information and specific guidelines on service academy nominations, please visit Rep. Denham’s website at http://denham.house.gov/serving-you/military-academy-nominations.
Below is a complete list of this year’s nominees:
• Bryce T. Brenda, Turlock – U.S. Military Academy
• Timothy J. Cecil, Mariposa – U.S. Naval Academy
• Samuel D. Chadwick, Madera – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy
• Spencer Christensen, Fresno – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Military Academy
• Benjamin G. Gilman, Modesto – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy
• Adam Groesbeck, Turlock – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy
• Zachary S. Hamman, Modesto – U.S. Naval Academy
• Kahleb Kelsey, Mariposa – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy
• Olivia A. Krohn, Fresno – U.S. Air Force Academy
• Jared T. Morrill, Fresno – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy
• David R. Nobels, Oakhurst – U.S. Air Force Academy
• Robert Laval-Leyva, Fresno – U.S. Military Academy
• Rebekah A. Lynch, Coursegold – U.S. Naval Academy
• Ruger G. Pearson, Sonora – U.S. Military Academy
• Lucas Phillips, Salida – U.S. Air Force Academy
• Zachary A. Roberts, Fresno – U.S. Naval Academy
• Mickenzie Walbridge, Riverbank – U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy
• Nicholas F. Waterman – U.S. Military Academy
• Taylor T. Wing – U.S. Military Academy