A toaster left on and unattended led to a kitchen fire in a Turlock home on Friday. Luckily for the homeowner, a helpful neighbor with a fire extinguisher took immediate action.
At approximately 12:26 p.m. Friday, the Turlock Fire Department responded to a 911 call regarding a kitchen fire in a McKenna Drive home, caused by the unattended toaster.
When fire personnel arrived they found a neighbor controlling the fire with a portable dry-chemical extinguisher. The occupant of the home had been outside of the house during the time of the fire.
The kitchen counter caught fire in the blaze, along with adjacent kitchen cabinets. According to TFD, the estimated dollar loss is $10,000.
Although the neighbor sustained a very minor burn on his finger while controlling the fire, TFD said that the fire would have grown much bigger without the quick action of the neighbor and his extinguisher.
TFD responded to the incident with a division chief, a battalion chief, and three engine companies for a total of ten personnel.