A local home was saved from a fast-spreading blaze on Saturday, thanks to the residents' speedy response.
The Turlock Fire Department responded to the residential fire at 2075 El Camino Dr. on Saturday after a table lamp caught fire.
According to Turlock Fire the lamp socket or the incandescent bulb failed, causing a spark that caught the lampshade aflame. The fire then extended to an adjacent recliner and the carpet below.
Both residents of the home, Ivan and Vonnie Stinson, were home at the time of the fire, and reacted quickly to put the fire out with a portable dry chemical extinguisher. The Turlock Fire Department believes that the couple's quick action helped prevent any further damage to the home.
Due to the minor fire and consequential smoke damage in the living room, the total estimated dollar loss due to the fire was $5,000.
Turlock Fire Department responded to the incident with a battalion chief and three engine companies for a total of ten personnel. Fire crews stayed on scene to help clean the mess, including helping to dust and vacuum the living room. Crews also changed a smoke detector battery and installed a new smoke detector in the master bedroom, where there was not one prior to the incident.
The Turlock Fire Department reminds all community members to check their smoke detectors and replace batteries if they are more than six months old.