Stanislaus County had its first heat-related death of the 2013 summer, which in the last week has turned brutally hot with the mercury topping out around 110 degrees with higher than normal humidity for the region.
On Tuesday evening firefighters responded to a modular home in Ceres and found a 77-year old male unresponsive and down on the floor. CPR was administered and he was transported to a local hospital where he was declared dead a short time later.
The Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department Coroner’s Division noted that the air conditioner was working but it was not cooling properly and was blowing hot air at over 100 degrees into the man’s home.
The result of the Coroner’s autopsy has determined that the cause of death is most likely attributed to the heat and other medical conditions. Dr. John Walker, Stanislaus County Health Officer said, “This unfortunate loss is a tragic reminder of how dangerous the Valley heat can be. It is essential that our County residents protect themselves and their neighbors from this period of extended heat and humidity.”
The Stanislaus County Office of Emergency Services and the Public Health Department want to emphasize the importance of checking on your neighbors – particularly the elderly, sick and shut-ins.
“We are a caring community,” said Dr. Walker. “It is our community’s culture to reach out, especially to our seniors and those living alone. Being a good neighbor can help save a life.”
Temperatures are expected to cool off down to highs in the low to mid 90s by Saturday. The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning through Thursday, July 4th at 8 p.m.
Turlock “Cool Zones” Listed