The Turlock Unified School District Board of Trustee approved salary and benefit increases for district teachers and staff during a special meeting Tuesday morning.
The salary and benefits increase came as part of the District’s effort to restore reductions in compensation that TUSD employees took in previous years.
“All of our compensation reductions were negotiated as on-going reductions until such a time when they could be restored due to increases in revenue,” said TUSD Administrative Assistant Roberta Cheney.
During the 2009-10 school year, all TUSD employees, excluding Head Start and preschool teachers, took a 3 percent reduction in compensation, followed by another 2 percent at the beginning of the 2010-11 school year for a total of 5 percent.
When the state budget passed in October 2010, TUSD was able to restore 2.5 percent of the 5 percent total during the 2010-11 school year.
As a result of Tuesday’s meeting, the remaining 2.5 percent of compensation reductions were restored for teachers and staff, as well as an additional 1.5 percent in salary and benefit increases.
Head Start and Preschool Teachers
According to TUSD, Head Start and preschool teachers did not take the original 3 percent reduction in 2009-10, but were subject to the 2 percent decrease in 2010-11. These employees, however, had the 2 percent reduction restored during the same year when the state budget passed.
Since Head Start and preschool teachers' salaries were already fully restored, they only received the additional 1.5 percent increase in salaries and benefits as a result of Tuesday’s meeting.
For more information about the Turlock Unified School District, visit http://turlockusd-ca.schoolloop.com/.