The Miami Police Department has concluded its investigation into the April 1 “suspicious incident” involving San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
It will now be in the hands of the Florida State Attorney to decide if Kap, 49ers receiver Quinton Patton, or Seattle Seahawks receiver Riccardo Lockette will be charged with a crime.
“Our investigation has been presented to our (Miami-Dade) State Attorney’s Office and we await their decision whether to prosecute or not,” Miami Chief of Police Manuel Orosa told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.
While not divulging specific details of the incident, Kap did speak of the current status of the case and claimed his innocence on Wednesday, following an Organized Team Activity.
“Well, the District Attorney has the information today,” Kaepernick said in a video on 49ers.com. “At this point, I’m going to let them handle their business. I did nothing wrong in that incident, so I want to do everything I can to let the D.A. close this matter.”
Many sides of the story have come forward since TMZ originally reported that the Miami Police Department was investigating Kaepernick for an alleged sexual assault. The Miami Police Department quickly told TurlockCityNews.com that they were only investigating a “suspicious incident.”
Later, 911 calls released by the Miami Police Department revealed that emergency services had transported the unnamed woman to the hospital, after she had previously reported to police that she could not remember how she got there and that a man, believed to be Lockette, had called to have the woman removed from his apartment.
Kaepernick spoke publicly about the incident for the first time at the Turlock Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast on May 2.
Kaepernick is currently in Santa Clara, working out with teammates at OTAs.