Despite Controversy, Bill Cosby Still Scheduled to Perform at Turlock Community Theatre

Courtesy of Bill Cosby

Despite more than a dozen women having publicly accused 77-year-old comedian Bill Cosby of sexual assault and rape in previous decades, the show, according to Turlock Community Theatre (TCT), must go on.

Cosby is scheduled to perform at the TCT Jan. 18. A representative from the theatre said that the show is sold out and will take place Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m.

When asked if the reason the show hasn’t been canceled was contractual, the representative, who only wanted to be identified as Janet, offered no comment and refused any further comment on the matter.

Cosby, who has denied claims of sexual harassment and rape dating back decades, had been previously scheduled to perform at Treasure Island Resort and Casino in Las Vegas last week. In a statement, the resort said the decision to cancel the show came “by mutual agreement,” and ticket holders would receive refunds.

Performances in Arizona, Illinois and South Carolina, scheduled for 2015, were also canceled.

While all of the allegations stem from the 1970s or 1980s, and Cosby is immune from criminal prosecutions due to statute of limitations laws, the Los Angeles Police Department announced it is willing investigate the accusations in their jurisdiction for civil court.

Cosby has come under intense scrutiny and has been the focus of much public outcry, specifically because many of his accusers all have similar stories of their sexual assaults and rapes.

Even the U.S. Navy took action against Cosby, revoking his honorary given rank of Chief Petty Officer.

The Navy bestowed the honorary rank in 2011. Cosby enlisted in the Navy in 1956 and served as a hospital corpsman before being honorably discharged in 1960 as a third-class petty officer.

"The Navy is taking this action because allegations against Mr. Cosby are very serious and are in conflict with the Navy's core values of honor, courage and commitment," Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Michael Stevens said in a statement.

While Cosby’s sold out show in Turlock is confirmed to take place as scheduled, any change of plans will be updated on TurlockCityNews.com.

1. Augustus says:

Turlock is definitely the kind of town that looks the other way to help a rapist.

2. Nancy Goodman says:

As a proud native Turlockers, I implore you to cancel Cosby. Do the right thing and make our community proud. Step up to the plate!

3. Cosby's okay until he isn't says:

What happened to “innocent until proven guilt?”

4. jello pudding says:

I find it funny how people are demanding this show be cancelled when this man, like anyone else in this great country, is innocent until proven guilty. Leave him alone. Unless you have proof he is guilty, leave it be. If you don’t like him, don’t go. I’m sure there are many people willing to take your tickets off your hands.

5. Michael Wagoner says:

Innocent until proven guilty. Many are falsely accused and that is why we have the judicial system. Even if he is proven guilty, I still stand by the values that he has touted. Of course many have accused, but the fact could possibly be copycat accusers and/or a concerted effort to dirty good family and personal values. I am hoping that he is innocent, but will stand by the women, if they are proven truthful. The truth may be in the pudding? (couldn’t resist) I am going to see his performance for the above reasons.

6. Turlock Woman says:

Seriously Mike? Someone who is falsely accused voluntarily $ettles out of court instead of waiting for the court absolve him? (2006-there were 14 women known at this time). Seriously Mike? The values he’s TOUTED? Tout means to TALK ABOUT! Seriously Mike? No woman cares if you stand by them if they are proven truthful. They know their truth!!! Seriously Mike….you’ve inspired me to go to the performance too. TO PROTEST.

7. Michael Wagoner says:

Turlock woman, who doesn’t say her name… Witches were hung in Salem because of many false accusations and mass hysteria. I should have used the word portrayed instead of touted. (My mistake.) I remain skeptical on both sides, as I don’t have all the evidence. Seems like at least one of the accusers would have some DNA evidence. Maybe they do and are saving it for a trial. If the man is proven guilty, I will stand with you in his condemnation. I, as you, hate rapists. Go ahead and protest if you must, but as for me… I still wait for positive proof. All I ask is, please don’t try and block my freedom to move about as I please, or destroy other people’s property in your anger.

8. Michael Wagoner says:

I still must admit that watching Cosby perform will be difficult, with the visions of what he has been accused of playing in my mind. I bought my tickets… and am going to see this controversial, historic performance.

9. Woman #16 says:

Bill Cosby was here in Turlock at CSUS graduation…wonder if any students or Marvalene Hughs took his little “blue pill” thinking it was just pudden

10. Guest says:

Rape is just lying (*edited by tcn), am I right Turlock?

11. Berry mycocinher says:

well MR wagoner, looks like Turlock Woman in suzette sims. The one person protesting at the show. hahahahaha