Small Fire Started in Crawl Space of Fourplex

Brandon McMillan/TurlockCityNews.com

Four people were displaced due to the fire in a fourplex on East Olive Avenue Thursday afternoon.

Turlock Fire Department responded to the 300 block of East Olive Avenue after receiving report of smoke coming from a closet in a small apartment complex shortly after 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Fire crews arrived to find a small fire in the closet and crawl space under a bottom unit in the four-unit apartment complex.

The fire was under control within 15 minutes of Turlock Fire Department arrival, with overhaul taking around an hour.

According to Battalion Chief Gary Carlson, the fire began in the crawl space below the complex before spreading up to the unit.

Residents reported smelling burning plastic for a few days prior to the fire, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The Turlock Fire Department determined the fire to be accidentally caused by the HVAC system.

The fire was contained to a small area causing little damage — approximately $1,000 in damage to the structure.

Four people were displaced with assistance from the Red Cross, as they were left without gas and electricity. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Recent Article Comments

Recent Forum Topics

Recent Forum Replies

ADVERTISEMENT
Skip to content