TUSD Superintendent Sonny Da Marto Announces Retirement

TurlockCityNews.com

After 38 years in education, Turlock Unified School District Superintendent Dr. Sonny Da Marto has announced his retirement.

“I’m very proud to have been the superintendent in this school district,” said Da Marto at Tuesday’s Board of Trustees meeting. “I’ve decided at the end of this year to retire.”

Da Marto has served as Superintendent of Turlock Schools for the last seven years, since joining TUSD in July of 2008. Prior to TUSD, Da Marto served as Superintendent of Burlingame School District for more than nine years.

His retirement will be effective the end of this year school year, with his last day being June 30. Da Marto joked that his retirement will be the first time in his life that he’s not in school.

“I look forward to spending some time with my 10 grandchildren and just seeing what else is out there and seeing what happens when I grow up,” joked Da Marto at Tuesday’s meeting. “I’ve never done anything but gone to school.”

Over recent years, Da Marto, as well as the rest of TUSD, has faced a fair share of criticism, most recently with the school district's drawn out labor negotiations with Turlock teachers and staff.

Last month, the Board of Trustees approved an approximately 14 percent pay raise for administration, while only giving a 5 percent raise to teachers and staff. These raises brought protests from the California School Employees Association prior to Tuesday’s meeting.

“I have nothing but respect for all of the employees of this district — the administration, the confidentials, the classifieds, the teachers,” said Da Marto on Tuesday. “Everyone that works in this district are second to none, as far as I’m concerned.”

Da Marto said he announced his resignation to the Board of Trustees two to three weeks prior to making it public on Tuesday.

“It is a delight to work with a dedicated staff whose focus has always been what is best for students,” Da Marto said in a letter to the Board, staff, and community. “For me, it has always been about the children.”

1. Guest says:

Good riddance.

2. Old Turlock says:

I thought Sonny was doing a great job. He had the teachers tow the line and finally work for a living.

3. Geegee says:

Hope he takes HEIDI with him

4. Many Thanks! says:

TUSD really did well with Dr. Da Marto at the helm. Unions were dealt with fairly and the district thrived during very difficult economic times. Best wishes to you Dr D.

5. reality says:

The district thrived BECAUSE Turlock has always had quality teachers. Use your head.

6. George Robinson says:

Sonny, Good Morning,

Congratulations to you from your colleagues in San Mateo County. Thanks for your contributions over the years to the profession and your work through ACSA.

Looking forward to seeing you around more,

George

7. Thank God! says:

Finally! Now if someone can come in and clean up the administrators, especially at Medeiros. De Marto has turned a blind eye to real complaints, I bet people are shaking in their boots now that Sonny is not going to be there to protect them.

8. Thank God 2 says:

Those who should be shaking in their boots…..
    Heidi Lawler
    Gil Ogden(how did he get educator of year???)
    Kea Willet
    Jason Brem
    Marie Peterson
    Jennifer Yacoub
    Laura Long
    Linda Alaniz

9. Union scum says:

Just another supposedly gorging himself at the trough of slop called taxpayer money, and now after 38 years of gorging he gets to retire with most likely 90% of his salary. Yes people, his labor is greater than yours and he deserves to retire with all of these juicy perks and benefits that come along with being the Lackey of the thuggish financial warlords.

10. NoSuper4Heidi says:

Heidi is Demarto’s lap dog that knowingly negotiated with TTA and CSEA in bad faith. Knowing full well what they were planning to do after they were done. Does anyone want someone like that running the district? Someone that can look you in the eye and be that deceitful. I know I don’t and I vote.

11. Sue Sylvester says:

Good bye and let’s get rid of Heidi Lawler and Mike Trainer and Gill “educator of the year” too!

12. Sylvester says:

Good bye and let’s get rid of Mike Trainer, Heidi Lawler and Gil Ogden too!

13. Turlock says:

Well maybe a change is what the District needs to get back on track

14. Guest Parent says:

I am SO sick and tired of hearing from these union thugs about how overworked and underpaid they are. Excuse me, but what high level of training does it require to slap a piece of pizza on my son’s plate? And Julie Shipman? Puhleeze. Anyone want to publish her salary and benefits? No? Didn’t think so. Sonny was no dream, and it’s time for a change, but this situation isn’t exactly Selma.

15. guest superintendant says:

…you clearly work in the district office with a rant like that. Posing as a random parent. Puhleeze.

16. Guest says:

You can look at any California Public Employee’s salary at http://transparentcalifornia.com/