The Turlock Fire Department responded to a working structure fire in the 400 block of N. Quincy Road on Oct. 3. The first engine responded to the report at 4:30 p.m. and the fire was under control by firefighters 20 minutes after arrival at 4:33 p.m.
Turlock Fire reported that a passer-by knocked on the front door of the home to alert the occupants of a fire in the garage. Once the occupants opened the garage door, they saw the garage fully engulfed in smoke.
Four Turlock Fire engines, and one Battalion Chief, responded. The first engine reported heavy smoke from the garage as all as from the attic eaves upon arrival.
According to a press release by Turlock Fire, the firefighters opened the garage to attack the fire, while others entered to make sure all occupants had vacated.
The residents of the structure, three adults and four children, exited through the front door, unharmed during the incident. They were displaced from the home, seeking shelter through relatives.
Crews checked the attic, finding the fire had breached the firewall and a small amount was found in the kitchen wall area. They then removed ceiling material to extinguish the fire. After it was extinguished, firefighters worked for another two and a half hours to remove burnt insulation and material. Units cleared the incident by 7:42 p.m.
While the occupants of the structure were not harmed, one firefighter was injured. He was struck in the arm with a metal wheel clock, however, he was treated and released from the Emanuel Medical Center Emergency Department with non-life threatening injuries.
A fire investigation determined the clothes dryer, which was located in the garage, is what started the fire, with the occupants having used the dryer before the fire was reported.
Property damage is estimated to be $40,000 with personal property loss valued at $5,000.