Turlock City News

Turlock City News

Resident Injured While Trying to Extinguish Fire with Garden Hose

Brandon McMillan/TurlockCityNews.com

One occupant of a Turlock home was injured while trying to extinguish a fire with a garden hose on Wednesday morning.

Turlock Fire Department responded to the 700 block of N. Broadway Avenue shortly after 6 a.m. on the report of a residential structure fire from Turlock police.

Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from a garage that had been converted into a small residence.

The fire was under control within 15 minutes of arrival, however the fire completely burned the interior of the residence.

Upon arrival, crews noticed a resident attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. The resident was injured while fighting the fire and treated on scene by the fire crew before being transported to Emanuel Medical Center for treatment.

The fire was determined to be accidental, caused by a discarded match while the resident was smoking.

The residence sustained major damage, with dollar loss to the structure estimated at $45,000 and $5,000 for loss of contents.

Turlock Fire Department found that there were no working smoke detectors in the residence and wants to remind citizens to make sure they have working detectors in their home.

Recent Article Comments