Turlock City News

Turlock City News

Turlock Fire Fights Kitchen Blaze in Olive Apartment

Brandon McMillan/TurlockCityNews.com

Turlock fire quickly responded to a small kitchen fire on Monday morning caused when cooking oil ignited on the stovetop.

The Turlock Fire Department received a 911 call around 10:29 a.m. on the report of a fire on the 1100 block of N. Olive Avenue.

Upon arriving to the apartment, fire crews found that it was a stovetop fire that had extended to the adjacent wall and ceiling.

Response crews were able to control the fire within 5 minutes of arrival, said the Turlock Fire Department. Turlock Irrigation District workers also responded to assist in securing the electrical service.

The fire started when an occupant was heating cooking oil in a frying pan on an electric range. The heat was turned up too high for the size of the pan and the amount of oil, so the oil ignited and quickly spread to the adjacent wall and ceiling, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

The fire caused damage to the area of the kitchen where the fire started and some smoke damage throughout the apartment, said the Turlock Fire Department. The total damage is estimated at $5,500 for damage to the building and its contents.

The apartment that caught fire was a triplex in a larger complex, but none of the other apartments were damaged in the fire.

The Red Cross also responded to provide the three occupants of the apartment, who were displaced while repairs are being completed, with temporary housing.

Recent Article Comments